At the end of the first go-round of Eastern Athletic League play, it can be argued that the Shasta Wolves are playing as well as anyone in the league. Rival Enterprise sits atop the league standing with one league loss, but the Wolves are joined by Chico and PV sitting one game back with two losses.
And after Shasta dismantled PV 60-48 on the road and hung tough for a 62-59 win Friday over Foothill, Alicia Dahl’s squad seems to be firing on all cylinders and earn this week’s Tri Counties Bank Girls Basketball Team of the Week honors.
Ava Jackson, Isabelle Smith and Ella Rodriguez all dropped double figures on the Vikings and Cougars last week as they averaged 18, 17 and 16, respectively.
But it’s not just the sharpshooting Jackson getting hot, the do-it-all Smith taking over or the ball of energy Rodriguez creating havoc. The Wolves are getting good defense from the likes of Arielle Patton, a bunch of everything from post Julianna Flores (whose contributions go far beyond what’s shown in the final box score) and a host of girls coming off the bench like Taryn Giacomelli, Genny Kendall, Katie Poletski and Taylee Currier.
The Wolves are off Tuesday before beginning the second round of EAL and have a chance to avenge one of the two league losses on Thursday when they host Chico.
Tri Counties Bank Girls Basketball Team of the Week
- Annual Lions All-Star Football Game canceled due to coronavirus pandemic
- Foothill’s Josiah Palumbo named Shasta County Sports Boys Basketball MVP
- Shasta County Sports 2019-20 All-County boys basketball team
- West Valley’s Madalynn Bassett earns Shasta County Sports Girls Basketball MVP honors
- Shasta County Sports 2019-20 All-County girls basketball team