They took care of their Eastern Athletic League opener in decisive fashion. They were the initial No. 1 in the Northern Section boys basketball Power Rankings. They are 16-2 and the easy choice for the Tri Counties Bank Boys Basketball Team of the Week, the third time they’ve been honored.
The Foothill basketball team enters its showdown tonight against Pleasant Valley as perhaps the hottest team in the section.
The Cougars opened EAL play with a third-period dismantling of rival Enterprise in a 63-42 victory on Friday. Bill Elliott’s crew used a 19-3 edge right out of intermission to salt the game way, but how they managed it was as impressive as the lopsided run itself. The Cougars scored All but one of their second-half field goals within 3 feet of the hoop.
Four players scored in double figures for the Cougars (1-0 EAL, 16-2), led by Nick Dore’s double-double with 16 points and 11 rebounds off the bench. Josiah Palumbo scored 13 points, Luke Lindsey added 12 and Brandon McCracken scored 11.
The Cougars’ mettle will be tested on Tuesday night in a road contest against 11-6 Pleasant Valley, the reigning section champion. The two teams split their regular-season meetings last year before the Vikings came away with a 43-41 victory in the section final.
Tri Counties Bank Boys Basketball Team of the Week
- State health directive ends chance for Northern Section fall football season
- EAL fall sport options shrinking, shifts more sports around
- NAL aligns football, volleyball with CIF calendar; submitting proposal to county health officials for individual sport guidelines
- The Northern Plan: How to play football and volleyball in counties not on the state watch list
- Northern Section ‘mountain schools’ pushing for fall football season