They took care of their Eastern Athletic League opener in decisive fashion. They were the initial No. 1 in the Northern Section boys basketball Power Rankings. They are 16-2 and the easy choice for the Tri Counties Bank Boys Basketball Team of the Week, the third time they’ve been honored.
The Foothill basketball team enters its showdown tonight against Pleasant Valley as perhaps the hottest team in the section.
The Cougars opened EAL play with a third-period dismantling of rival Enterprise in a 63-42 victory on Friday. Bill Elliott’s crew used a 19-3 edge right out of intermission to salt the game way, but how they managed it was as impressive as the lopsided run itself. The Cougars scored All but one of their second-half field goals within 3 feet of the hoop.
Four players scored in double figures for the Cougars (1-0 EAL, 16-2), led by Nick Dore’s double-double with 16 points and 11 rebounds off the bench. Josiah Palumbo scored 13 points, Luke Lindsey added 12 and Brandon McCracken scored 11.
The Cougars’ mettle will be tested on Tuesday night in a road contest against 11-6 Pleasant Valley, the reigning section champion. The two teams split their regular-season meetings last year before the Vikings came away with a 43-41 victory in the section final.
Tri Counties Bank Boys Basketball Team of the Week
- Tri Counties Bank Boys Basketball Team of the Week: Foothill Cougars
- Tri Counties Bank Girls Basketball Team of the Week: Enterprise Hornets
- Northern Section Basketball Power Rankings: Foothill boys hold ground, new No. 1 girls team
- Foothill boys use third-quarter blitz, girls squeak out three-point win in Think Pink games
- Shasta College basketball men, women swept on road by Butte College