Robbie Davis, seen last year, is this week’s Tri Counties Bank Boys Basketball Player of the Week after leading Anderson to a 38-37 championship win in the Anderson Tournament. (Photo by Mike Daly / Shasta County Sports)
Christian Teague hit the game-winning putback in Anderson’s 38-37 title-game win Saturday over Anderson. But that shot doesn’t happen if not for the tireless work on the tournament MVP, Robbie Davis.
The Big Blue senior scored 14 in the championship win – 10 in the tourney-opening win over Orland – and worked tirelessly on both ends of the floor. That’s why he’s the Tri Counties Bank Boys Basketball Player of the Week.
“Robbie did play like a man. He stepped it up,” Anderson coach Mark Brown said. “We got him up on the high block, where he can do that drop step from left to right and finish.”
And finish he did. But it wasn’t just the 14 points where the 6-foot-5 post stood out. He grabbed 14 rebounds in the title-clinching game and was the focal point of the Cubs’ offense. Brown’s squad worked the ball into the big man at the high post, where his footwork made scoring easy when not doubled. And when the D collapsed? He’d kick out and find shooters – like Gator Wilson, who nailed two big 3-pointers in helping bring the Cubs back from an 11-point third quarter deficit.
“He’s got the ability to do great things,” Brown said of Davis after Thursday’s 73-37 win over Orland. “He’s learning to slow his mind down and let the game come to him. When he slows it down, he’s a force.”
Davis also earns a free drink coupon from Black Rose Coffee & Tea, a sponsor for the Player of the Week for the Boys & Girls Basketball season.
Tri Counties Bank Boys Player of the Week
- Northern Section approves both two-season, three-season sport formats for 2020-21
- State health directive ends chance for Northern Section fall football season
- EAL fall sport options shrinking, shifts more sports around
- NAL aligns football, volleyball with CIF calendar; submitting proposal to county health officials for individual sport guidelines
- The Northern Plan: How to play football and volleyball in counties not on the state watch list