It’s been 670 days since the Burney Raiders have won a football game.
A change from 11-man to 8-man football can revitalize a team that’s desperate to get back on track. The Burney Raiders had a dominating performance on Wednesday as they topped Happy Camp 58-14 in their first game of the year.
The Raiders posted the most points they’ve scored since beating Biggs 65-18 in 2012, that is why the Burney Raiders have earned themselves the Shasta County Sports Team of the Week honors for Week Zero.
The Raiders running game could not be stopped as the returning backfield pair of Langston Tate and Hayden Crook ran all over Happy Camp, as they combined for 289 yards and five touchdowns on 11 touches each.
Quarterback Connor Pfadt threw for 54 yards and two touchdowns, and added 81 yards on the ground, including a 58-yard run.
“I am glad to see the athletes’ hard work payoff on the field at last,” said Burney Head Coach Jedediah Tate.
The Raiders look to keep the momentum rolling and improve to 2-0 as they go on the road to face Hayfork on Friday.
Team of the Week
Week Zero — Burney Raiders
- Enterprise holds off Shasta 67-63 in D-III semifinals for fourth win in five meetings
- Ramirez, Mondaine step out into the spotlight in Hornets’ 67-63 playoff win over Shasta
- Hawes scores 17 as U-Prep boys blast Paradise 50-30 in D-IV quarterfinals
- Top seeds blossom in Northern Section Masters wrestling after first day
- VIDEO: Enterprise boys top Shasta in D-III quarterfinals