Even though the Anderson Cubs had seen their playoff hopes diminish in the past few weeks, the star running back for Big Blue made the regular-season finale a game to remember.
Devin Wilson ran for 260 yards on 33 carries and three touchdowns as the Cubs ended the year on a high note with a 46-12 pasting of Yreka in a Northern Athletic League contest. He’s the final Shasta County Sports Player of the Week for 2019.
The 5-foot-9, 160 pound Wilson churned out an average of nearly eight yards per carry, including breaking off a 45-yard scamper in the victory.
Though much of the attention has been on the Cubs’ passing attack, Wilson reminded everyone on Friday that Big Blue still is about the ground and pound behind an offensive line led by Jamie Cushman Jr. and Marcus Trotter. The mark is well short of Parker Phillip’s school record of 375 yards, set in 2018.
But a 250-yard night is something to celebrate. Wilson finished the season with 1,273 yards rushing on 229 carries and found pay dirt 10 times. In addition, he had 41 tackles on the season.
Shasta County Sports Player of the Week
Week Zero: Riley Seay, U-Prep
Week 1: Brandon Merryman, Foothill
Week 2: Tyler Carey, Foothill
Week 3: Jake Reuss, U-Prep
Week 4: Connor Pfadt, Burney
Week 5: Carson Piper, Redding Christian
Week 6: Cade Lambert, West Valley
Week 7: Riley Seay, U-Prep
Week 8: Gator Wilson, Anderson
Week 9: Carson Piper, Redding Christian
Week 10: Devin Wilson, Anderson
- CCCAA approves plan to all shift junior college fall sports to spring
- Shasta County Public Health paves way for high school sport practices to begin
- CCCAA approves plan to move forward with junior college athletics starting in fall
- Annual Lions All-Star Football Game canceled due to coronavirus pandemic
- Foothill’s Josiah Palumbo named Shasta County Sports Boys Basketball MVP