You have to be multi-faceted in 8-man football – willing and able to do a little of everything. Redding Christian sophomore Carson Piper fits that bill to a “T.”
The 5-foot-9, 140-pounder is listed as a wide receiver and cornerback. But the son of coach Gerald Piper also has played quarterback for the 4-1 Lions.
In last week’s 43-0 win over Dunsmuir, Piper, this week’s Shasta County Sports Player of the Week, caught two scores from starting quarterback Clark Smith on passes of 11 and 505 yards. Piper also tossed a 30-yard TD strike of his own to Manny Matos in the shutout over the Tigers. The whole RC offense had it rolling as five offensive players were involved in scoring – Piper, Smith and Matos along with Anthony Guido (two rushing scores) and Sam Chiu (70-yard rushing TD).
The Lions are going to need their offense to keep rolling this week when they host 5-0 Tulelake in a 8-Man North showdown. The Honkers are only 2-0 in league – RC 4-1 overall, but 3-0 in league – while 4-0 Hayfork (2-0 league) and Big Valley (4-1, 2-1) are nipping at both teams’ heels.
Shasta County Sports Player of the Week
- Enterprise holds off Shasta 67-63 in D-III semifinals for fourth win in five meetings
- Ramirez, Mondaine step out into the spotlight in Hornets’ 67-63 playoff win over Shasta
- Hawes scores 17 as U-Prep boys blast Paradise 50-30 in D-IV quarterfinals
- Top seeds blossom in Northern Section Masters wrestling after first day
- VIDEO: Enterprise boys top Shasta in D-III quarterfinals