Redding Christian’s Carson Piper joins Riley Seay as the only two-time winners of the Shasta County Sports Player of the Week honor.
And while U-Prep’s Seay has been a playmaker for the 8-1 Panthers, Piper has been his 8-Man equal.
On Friday, in a 21-12 Redding Christian win over 8-Man slatwart Big Valley, Piper put the Lions on his back and delivered a No. 1-seed earning performance. The 5-9 super sophomore helped RC earn the 8-Man North title and the top seed in the playoffs, which begin Friday.
Piper ran for 283 yards and scored all three touchdowns on 19 carries for the Lions, who won their eighth straight game — including two forfeit wins — since losing to Chester 14-6 in the opener.
The Lions open the postseason hosting No. 4 Greenville this week and will need big nights from Piper, quarterback Clark Smith and a defense led by Ryne Luaces.
All season Piper, son of coach Gerald Piper, has come up big for the Lions, grabbing scores via the ground, through the air and even passing for scores.
Shasta County Sports Player of the Week
Week Zero: Riley Seay, U-Prep
Week 1: Brandon Merryman, Foothill
Week 2: Tyler Carey, Foothill
Week 3: Jake Reuss, U-Prep
Week 4: Connor Pfadt, Burney
Week 5: Carson Piper, Redding Christian
Week 6: Cade Lambert, West Valley
Week 7: Riley Seay, U-Prep
Week 8: Gator Wilson, Anderson
Week 9: Carson Piper, Redding Christian
- Annual Lions All-Star Football Game canceled due to coronavirus pandemic
- Foothill’s Josiah Palumbo named Shasta County Sports Boys Basketball MVP
- Shasta County Sports 2019-20 All-County boys basketball team
- West Valley’s Madalynn Bassett earns Shasta County Sports Girls Basketball MVP honors
- Shasta County Sports 2019-20 All-County girls basketball team