In a shortened season, the U-Prep football team set the standard for future squads by going 5-1 after its 17-14 road win over Lassen on Friday. The Panthers’ .830 win percentage is the best in program history.
But to get there, U-Prep had to overcome six turnovers in Susanville. Coach Dustin Fortenberry said his squad churned out more than 400 yards offense, but needed big defensive plays at the end to secure the victory.
Carter Abel scored a first-half TD and Kevin Cox booted a 37-yard field goal as U-Prep went to intermission trailing 14-10. However, Scotty Jones caught a Chris Jimenez TD pass on U-Prep’s first possession of the second half to take the 17-14 lead.
Connor Gilbreath had two sacks in fourth quarter, Fortenberry said, and Cedrick Clark ended the game with a sack on fourth down.
Yreka 27, Anderson 26
The Miners got their first win of the season over the Cubs. The loss drops Anderson to 1-3 on the year.
Devin Armstrong was 9-of-19 passing for 258 yards and a touchdown and also intercepted two passes on defense. Mason Smith caught two passes for 108 yards and a touchdown and Garrett Knott hauled in four passes for 82 yards. Kaeson Saelee totaled 110 yards with 10 rushes for 78 yards and added 32 yards on two receptions.
- Redding Rancheria Player of the Game: Shasta Defense
- #23 Shasta College defense forces six turnovers in 31-6 win over rival Siskiyous
- KNIGHT NOTES: #23 Shasta looks for first conference win at Siskiyous Saturday
- KNIGHT TIME: Oct. 21 Shasta College football podcast
- Loss drops Shasta College to 23rd in CCCAA Top 25 poll