Shasta County Sports’ Top 50 players are ranked, in a countdown format, based on varsity experience and potential impact for the upcoming season. Coaches’ opinions, statistics, postseason accolades, video highlights and the “eye test” were all factors in compiling the list.
The only teams included are in Shasta County – Anderson, Burney, Central Valley, Enterprise, Fall River, Foothill, Redding Christian, Shasta, U-Prep and West Valley. A reminder: just because a player plays in a lower division for a smaller school, doesn’t mean their impact is any less than a player from a large school.
The Top 50 Returning Players List is sponsored by Tri Counties Bank, a proud partner of Shasta County Sports.
15. Clark Smith | QB/WR/LB | Redding Christian, Sr.
Smith started the year at quarterback before sliding over to running back as the season progressed – not because of performance, but the emergence of sophomore Carson Piper. The ultimate team guy, Smith did a lot of everything for the 10-2 Lions. He passed for 738 yards and nine scores, he ran for 529 more yards and two TDs, while adding 127 yards receiving and one more score in 2019. Additionally, he was a terror on defense, logging 83 tackles (71 solo) with an interception.
“I mean Clark Smith, he’s all over the place – he’s the weak side linebacker and he’s getting leverage across to the strong side and getting after it,” Burney coach Jed Tate said after the Raiders’ fell to the Lions in the postseason.
- Football Updates: Week 5 – April 16
- After slow start, Shasta volleyball downs Red Bluff in four sets 20-25, 25-23, 25-21, 25-16
- Cover Two Podcast: Week 5 action with River Bowl XXIX, Foothill-WV, U-Prep-CV
- Week 5 Previews: Unbeaten CV faces toughest test in U-Prep in GOTW
- Shasta County Sports Report: April 12-18