Shasta County Sports assembled its Top 50 Returning Players List for the 2019 season in a countdown format. The players are ranked based on varsity experience and potential impact for the upcoming season.
Coaches’ opinions, statistics, postseason accolades, video highlights and the “eye test” were all factors in compiling the list.
The only teams included are in Shasta County – Anderson, Burney, Central Valley, Enterprise, Fall River, Foothill, Redding Christian, Shasta, U-Prep and West Valley. A reminder: just because a player plays in a lower division for a smaller school, doesn’t mean their impact is any less than a player from a large school.
Click on the arrows below to see the bio on each player.
40. Mikey Hartman (5-7, 165), FB/LB, Enterprise, Sr.
Someone has to do the dirty work. A tough-nosed and physical player, Hartman carries a fearless attitude and loves contact.
The Hornets need a defender who isn’t afraid to get in the mix and set the tone on defense. Hartman is that guy — the enforcer. He totaled 31 tackles, two sacks and a fumble recovery in 2018. His season-high seven tackles came against McQueen of Nevada in the opener and he also had 62 rushing yards and a TD on eight carries.
When Hartman is in on offense, he’ll likely be clearing the running lanes for Eli Cortinas & Co. as the fullback and will mix in a few carries with his physical running style.
PRE-ORDER YOUR MAGAZINE
- Tri Counties Bank Game of the Week preview: Shasta at West Valley
- Season Preview: Class in session for defending D-III champion West Valley
- 2019 Top 50 Football Returner Rankings: No. 2, James Weaver
- Season Preview: Shasta Wolves reliant on defensive prowess
- Season Preview: Redding Christian seeks 8-man success with young crop of talent